collegiate initiative programming
Greetings NSBE-AE Family!
Welcome to the Collegiate Initiative website, your source of all updated collegiate initiative programming information. This is a very exciting time in NSBE programming where our mission IS the mission. It is simple and clear and we cannot fulfill it unless we are helping our collegiate counterparts get through the pipeline and transition from engineering students to black engineers fully functioning on their jobs and in their communities.
As you begin your programming, please reference the below information and toolkits that are available to you.
How YOU can support Collegiate Initiative programming:
Become a NSBE Mentor
- Mentor a NSBE student in your local area
- Identify a recent NSBE graduate at your place of employment
- If you are a Chapter/Regional leader – mentor your collegiate counterpart
- Identify a NSBE Graduating Senior
- Download the Collegiate Initiative Mentoring Program Toolkit
- Participate in TORCH activities with local chapter
- Facilitate collaboration for programming between collegiate and AE chapters
- Conduct formal STEM training
- Participate in informal science and engineering education
- Partner/participate with collegiate chapters in local AWFEs
- Partner/participate with collegiate chapters in traditional community service
- Encourage local chapter's participation in TORCH programming
- Remember October is TORCH Month!
- Download the TORCH Toolkit
- Visit the TORCH webpage on www.nsbe.org
NSBE Retention Program
- Serve as a mentor in a local collegiate chapter’s NSBE Retention Program
- Encourage local collegiate chapters to implement a NSBE Retention program
- NSBE Study Hall
- Skill Development Workshops
- Download the NSBE Retention Program PowerPoint presentation
Technical Research Exhibition (TRE)
- Participate as a Technical Professional
- Serve as a judge for the Technical Research Exhibition at your Fall Regional Conference or Annual Convention
- Download the Technical Research Exhibition Toolkit
Conduct a Collegiate Initiative Workshop at the Local, Regional or National Level
- Professional Development workshops
- AE/Collegiate socials
- Resume writing workshop
- Workshops around the first 90 days on the job – Do’s and don’ts
- AE: Life on the Other Side of NSBE – What life is like as an AE member
- Download the ColIege Initiative Toolkit
Our world is constantly changing and there are always new and innovative ways that we can connect with our collegiate counterparts. We just have to engage.
As you can see, there is a lot of work to do in the area of Collegiate Initiative. Hopefully, these programs will add to your arsenal as you continue to engage with our collegiate counterparts.
The College Initiative Toolkit, Mentoring Program Toolkit and Face-time Matrix to track hours are all available via the links below:
• College Initiative Toolkit
• Mentoring Program Toolkit
• Face-time Matrix – which can be used to track your interactions with collegiate students
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns that you may have. If there is anything that you need that you do not see listed, please contact your Regional CI/Programs Chairperson so that it can be added.
Thank you so much and happy programming!
Kameelah Samar Majied, PMP
National Alumni College Initiative Chair
2012-2013 Alumni Executive Board